Skip to Content

Home >> Surplus Property >> UVa Staff Access >> Surplus Procedure

Surplus Procedure

Special Considerations for Certain Kinds of Property

  • Radioactive or hazardous materials may not be disposed through the surplus property process; contact Environmental Health and Safety.
  • It is the department's responsibility to confirm that any Equipment Trust Fund (ETF) asset going through the surplus property process is eligible for sale. Surplus Property takes no responsibility in this matter.
  • Policy must be followed when releasing UVA Capital Equipment (Fixed Assets) to another institution outside the Commonwealth. 
  • Small office equipment and reusable office supplies will continue to be picked up by Facilities Management Recycling as part of the ROSE Program at no cost to departments. These items include, but are not limited to, tape dispensers, paper clip holders, rulers, scissors, pencil sharpeners, stapler, penholders, hole-punch, desk lamps, papers clips, dividers, and binders.

The following links below provide further guidance and direction:

Computer/Electronic Surplus Property

All Computer/Electronic Surplus property must be disposed through the university's contract vendor, eCycleSecure. These items must be disposed of immediately-- do not hold items indefinitely and delay the start of the surplus process.  For items purchased with Health System funds, please contact Bill Wingfield in Health System Computing Services for instructions. All other departments must submit a Computer/Electronic Surplus Form to allow eCycleSecure to dispose of property. If you want to use any other method to transfer or dispose of Computer/Electronic surplus, you must contact ITS for approval.

The following items MUST be considered as "Computer/Electronic Surplus" regardless of working condition:

  • Cash Registers,  Copiers, Desktop Computers, Digital cameras, EKG Machines, Fax Machines, Mobile Devices (including cell phones, PDAs, Blackberry, tablets, smart phones, etc.), LCD (Flat Screen) Monitors, Media - Magnetics (hard drives, tapes, etc.), Mobile Computers (laptop, notebook, etc.), Peripherals (keyboards, mice, docking stations, speakers, etc.), Printers, Scanners, Servers, CRT Monitors, Audio/Video Equipment, TVs, any item that may contain data, or any item that has a keyboard

Procedures for Disposal of Computer/Electronic Surplus Property

  • Erasure of data stored on items entering the surplus property process is optional but not required by the department.
  • All items must be maintained in a secure location until picked up by eCycleSecure (for example, in a locked closet, office or drawer) and should never be left unattended in a public area. All electronic surplus items must controlled and segregated from current stock.  The department must have custody of the item until it is picked up by the vendor.
  • Items for disposal must be clearly labeled as "Surplus."
  • The eCycleSecure driver is required to pick up ONLY the items submitted on the Surplus Property form referenced on their Bill of Lading.
  • eCycleSecure is responsible for the packing and loading of all items. They will verify quantities by equipment type on site and a detail review by serial number once they return to their warehouse.
  • Hard drives must remain in computers so computers and their data are properly tracked. Do Not remove hard drives. If hard drives must be removed for failure or replacement, it must be tracked by serial number and disposed of through the contractor on the next available pickup.
  • Verify the Surplus Property form number and quantities printed on the Bill of Lading with the form submitted to Surplus Property, print your name and phone number on the Bill of Lading, and sign and date it. The copy represents a certificate of disposal that states University data is destroyed. Someone in the department must retain the Bill of Lading per the Records Management Schedule.
  • eCycleSecure takes responsibility for items after they are placed in their vehicle. Therefore, someone from the department must stay with eCycleSecure during the loading process, and witness the placement of items in their vehicle. The pick-up vehicle must be locked when unsupervised. Please notify Surplus Property at of any violation of this security procedure.
  • If pickups cannot be completed on a scheduled date, eCycleSecure will reschedule. eCycleSecure will send an email stating when they will pick up the items. PLEASE DO NOT RESUBMIT the same items for surplus. This will create duplicate batches. Contact Chris Smith with eCycleSecure at 704-376-1116.

Furniture Surplus Property

If the surplus property is furniture, all items must be disposed through Facilities Management. The only exception is dormitory furniture which Housing handles.  There will be a handling cost associated with donation or disposal.  Facilities Management transports the items to a specific drop off location for Goodwill Industries of the Valleys. 

Procedures for Disposal of Furniture Surplus Property

  • Please fill out the Facilities Management work order.  Facilities Management will respond and facilitate the pickup and disposal.  You no longer need to fill out a Surplus Property Form for these items.
  • If the furniture has a UVA asset tag, please submit a P1 form for approval from the Fixed Assets Accounting Group. 
  • After Fixed Assets has approved the request for disposal, please remove the tag and return it to Fixed Assets.  Facilities Management cannot pick up any furniture with an UVA assets tag. 
  • To protect University records, desks and filing cabinets can only be picked up by the Facilities Management if unlocked and empty.
  • To protect University electronic data, Facilities Management cannot pick up any equipment that could contain University data.  Please see the Surplus Property website at  for the proper way to dispose of equipment that could contain University data.
  • Items for disposal must be clearly labeled as "Surplus."

General Surplus Property

If the property is General, the options are:

  • To sell or dispose of items, complete a Surplus Property Request form to engage Entrusted Auctions, the contracted vendor. Please contact Jarrod Hines (cell 540-250-2964, office 540-633-2431) or with questions.
  • To donate items, send the following to
    • Detailed list of the item(s) to donate
    • Name and contact information for organization to donate to
    • Documents proving the organization’s 501(c)(3) status or a public agency
  • To transfer any surplus office supplies of de minimis value ($100 original cost) to the ROSE (Reusable Office Supply Exchange) program.

Procedures for Disposal of General Surplus Property

  • All pick-ups must be coordinated with Entrusted Auctions and will vary based on the size and quantity of the items. Departments are encouraged to coordinate with Entrusted Auctions as early as possible. The ability to sell large items in place will eliminate costs departments may incurr for additional labor and resources to accomplish the disposal. Please contact Entrusted Auctions at 540-633-2431 or
  • When completing the Surplus Property Request form, please include a detailed description of the item, quantity, and the pickup location (building name, street number and name, and floor and/or room number). Please include the size of the item in the detailed description: Large, if it will require more than one person to move; Medium, if it can be moved by one person with a dolly; or Small, if one person can move it without a dolly.
  • Items for disposal must be clearly labeled as "Surplus."