University Surplus Property
What is Surplus Property?
Surplus property is all university owned unneeded property, including unclaimed, lost or abandoned property, regardless of age and condition.
There are three types of surplus property at the University:
1) Computer/Electronic Surplus is electronic equipment and devices that have previously or may now contain University data.
2) Office Furniture is desks, desk chairs, conference room tables and chairs, credenzas, bookcases, filing cabinets, shelves, books, etc.
3) General is all other equipment appliances, vehicles, etc.
Methods of Disposal
Procedures for disposing of surplus property are located at Surplus Property Procedure. This area of our website is only accessible through NetBadge. For further guidance, please see the Surplus Property Disposal policy.
Note: Offsite locations may be exempt from using specific contracted vendors and must work with Surplus Property to seek proper solutions in the spirit of the policy.
Methods That Do Not Fall Under the Oversight of Surplus Property
• For UVA College at Wise, please visit their website for information about their Surplus Property disposal process.
• To transfer between UVA departments, please contact Information Security and Fixed Assets Accounting websites for proper procedures.
• To transfer property to a non-Commonwealth of Virginia agency, see faculty checklist for further instructions.
• Radioactive or hazardous materials must be disposed by Environmental Health and Safety.
• For IT equipment (computers or any equipment that sorts data) purchased with Health System funds, please contact Bill Wingfield in Health System Computing Services for disposal instructions.
• Small office equipment and reusable office supplies will be picked up by Facilities Management Recycling as part of the ROSE Program at no cost to departments. These items include, but are not limited to, tape dispensers, paper clip holders, rulers, scissors, pencil sharpeners, stapler, penholders, hole-punch, desk lamps, papers clips, dividers, and binders.
• UVA Recycling handles all surplus light bulbs, including florescent.
• Housing and Residence Life handles the disposal of dormitory furniture.
• Equipment may be traded in on new by contacting PSDS at email@example.com.
• Medical Equipment Recovery of Clean Inventory (M.E.R.C.I. recycling program), accepts unused supplies and small equipment and makes them available to the UVA community. If you are closing a lab, consider sending your unused items to M.E.R.C.I.
How to Buy/Receive Surplus Property
General Surplus Items may be purchased on-line at www.entrustedauctions.com. Entrusted Auctions is located at 200 West 12th Street Waynesboro, VA. Anyone, including staff and students, can view items at auction and register as a bidder. Entrusted Auctions will deliver items purchased for University use to the department making the purchase. When purchasing for University use, a University Purchasing Card is the only acceptable payment method.
To become approved to receive donated items, submit the organization's name and contact information as well as documents proving the organization’s 501(c)(3) status to firstname.lastname@example.org.