Skip to Content

Home >> Travel and Expense Card >> University of Virginia Travel and Expense Card Program (previously the Pcard Program)

University of Virginia Travel and Expense Card Program (previously the Pcard Program)

What is a Travel and Expense Card?

The University offers a “one card” solution that allows the cardholder to make small dollar purchases of goods, services, and travel expenses. The Travel and Expense card combines the previous purchasing and travel card programs into one card. The card is corporate liability, which means the University pays the bill on behalf of the cardholder.

The University Travel and Expense Card is the preferred method of payment for all employee initiated travel, meals, and entertainment expenses for the following reasons:

  • Does not incur international fees, cash advance fees, or sales tax on goods and services that are exempted from sales tax.
  • VISA provides cardholder additional assistance, insurance, and services for purchases paid with a Travel and Expense Card.

For questions or assistance, please contact the University's Card Administrators at or 434-924-4212. For emergencies after business hours, please email or call 434-989-4988.

Procedure for Obtaining a Travel and Expense Card

1. Complete training and apply for a card.

For University Academic Employees:

  • Applicants must first take the online cardholder training.
  • The Authorizer, which is your Human Resources supervisor unless they have delegated this role to another person, must take Card Authorizer Training.
  • Once both have completed training the Application for a Travel and Expense Card can be accessed.
  • Once the application is completed and approved by the Authorizer, the University's Card Administrator will order the card. The card will be mailed to the cardholder's departmental address. It should arrive in 7-10 business days.

For Medical Center and Non-employees:

Must be sponsored by a University Academic department and linked to a supervisor who is a University Academic employee in the Integrated System. The sponsoring department is responsible for setting up the applicant in the University’s Academic Human Resources system. Email the following information to

  • Applicant Name
  • Sponsoring Department
  • Applicant Email Address
  • Applicant Phone
  • Applicant Date of Birth
  • Applicant Gender
  • Applicant's Home Address
  • Applicant's Home City, State, Zip
  • Sponsoring Department's UVA Address 1
  • Sponsoring Department's City, State, Zip
  • Applicant UVA Organization Code (5 digit code)
  • Supervisor Name (must be a UVA employee)


Once the information is entered into the Human Resources system, the applicant must complete the process detailed above for Academic Employees.

2. Card Activation

To activate the card, call the number provided on the sticker on the card.  Enter the 16 digit card number and verification code.  The verification code is the cardholder’s three digit agency number (University's College at Wise = 246, Southwest Center = 948, UVA = 207) plus the cardholder’s six digit employee number. Employee number can be found at the top of Timecard or Payslip in the Integrated System.

3. Register Your PIN

Travel and Expense Cards are Chip and PIN enabled. The embedded microchip provides enhanced fraud protection and increased global acceptance. The four-digit PIN number will come in a separate mailer from the  credit card. Follow these instructions

For more information about Chip and PIN cards:

Card Color

All cards ordered after February 25, 2016 will be silver and say "Commercial Card." 


Lost/Stolen Card, Fraudulent Charges, and Disputes

Please contact Bank of America as soon as possible if a card is lost or stolen, has fraudulent charges, or if there are disputes over charges.

  • If the card is lost or stolen, please call the number on the back of your card for a replacement and new account.
  • If there are fraudulent charges please call BOA Fraud Department at (866) 500-8262.
  • To initiate a dispute, please call the BOA Dispute Department at (800) 410-6465.

Changes to Cards

Please submit the Card Change Request form for the following cardholder changes: changes to legal name, going on a leave of absence, cancelling the card, or adjusting spending limits, removing the lodging or restaurant restriction, changing the default PTAO, or changing the person responsible for making PTAEO changes to card transactions.

Policies and Procedures

Cardholders are responsible for adhering to the regulations in these documents:


For more information on how to use the Travel and Expense card see Using the Travel and Expense Card.