The Supplier Diversity Initiative exists as a resource for diverse vendors and prime contractors to the University of Virginia, as well as to University faculty and staff.
The University of Virginia is committed to be a leader in supplier diversity by developing sustainable relationships with qualified, reliable, small, women, and minority owned businesses. We will actively seek out the best firms which will enable the University of Virginia to deliver high-quality education, research, public service and healthcare.
What is a SWaM Vendor?
In order to be classified as a "SWaM" business, vendors must be certified as such by the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise (VDMBE). SWaM firms are small businesses and businesses owned and operated by women or minorities. For more information about the Commonwealth's SWaM program, please visit http://www.dmbe.virginia.gov/index.html. For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about SWaM Certifications, please visit http://www.procurement.virginia.edu/pageCertificationFAQs.
Resources for SWaM Vendors
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services pursues the goal of increasing the amount of business done with SWaM firms by providing information and undertaking new initiatives to reach out to the diverse vendor community:
- SWaM firms are invited and encouraged to attend the bi-monthly Vendor Training sessions conducted by the Director of Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services, Carruthers, Conference Room E, 10-12.
- Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services notifies eVA and the Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise (DMBE) of all new Requests for Proposal to help ensure that SWaM firms are aware of opportunities for doing business with the University.
- The University's Guidelines for Competition list the policies University staff must follow when making a purchase.
- Supplier Diversity works with the University's majority-owned prime contractors to encourage subcontracting opportunities, joint ventures, and partnerships for SWaM firms.
- The Supplier Diversity Initiative maintains the University's relationships with small and diverse business advocacy organizations, including the Virginia Minority Supplier Development Council, the National Minority Supplier Development Council, the Women Presidents' Educational Organization (WBENC affiliate) the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce, the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the Charlottesville Minority Business Network, and the Central Virginia Business Owners. These groups offer wonderful networking and business opportunities for their membership.
Resources for Departments
Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services also pursues the goal of increasing the amount of business done with SWaM firms by providing information to departments about the goods and services offered by SWaM vendors.
- Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services works directly with University departments to provide information about SWaM firms.
- This website includes a search of VDMBE-certified vendors that allows users to find SWaM vendors by the type of commodity they provide, and which gives Integrated System Supplier Numbers for those that are already registered in our system.
- University departments can contact Supplier Diversity directly (see contact information below)for help in finding SWaM vendors.
- Les Haughton -- Director, Supplier Diversity
- Lorie Jean Strother -- SWAM Contract Administrator
- Jack King -- Business Operations Manager
Supplier Diversity - Carruthers Hall