Skip to Content

Home >> Travel & Meals >> Public Transportation (Air, Rail, Bus)

Public Transportation (Air, Rail, Bus)

Purchasing Tickets

  • Tickets may be purchased and be booked directly by phone, internet or with any travel agency.
  • When purchasing tickets over the internet:
    • Always be sure that the site you use is reputable and offers secure online transactions -- look for the URL beginning with "https" when entering your personal or payment information.
    • You must retain the final confirmation page showing the type of ticket purchased (e.g., coach, business) -- it is required documentation when reimbursement is requested.
  • Remember, the most economical times to purchase your airfare are between three months and two weeks prior to your departure date.  Airfare cost can significantly increase if tickets are purchased close to your departure date.
  • Travelers should not accept Travel Insurance (Personal injury or loss, trip interruption/cancellation, etc.)
  • When purchasing tickets for others, always remind the traveler to save the boarding pass.

Paying for Tickets

  • To have the University pay directly for tickets and avoid the need for reimbursement, use the University Purchasing Card (Pcard). This is the only way to have the University prepay the tickets.
  • To pay for the tickets yourself and have the University reimburse you after the trip, you may use the University Travel Card or your own personal credit cards. You will be reimbursed after your trip is completed.

Upgrades to Travel

First class tickets are not an allowable purchase. Travelers may purchase or be reimbursed for upgrades from coach to business class under any one of the following conditions:

  • Documentation is provided to prove that the business class fare does not exceed the lowest available tourist/coach fare, or
  • Flight is transoceanic or intercontinental and expected flight time exceeds eight hours, or
  • The traveler pays for the difference between lowest available tourist/coach fare and the business class fare.
  • Seating upgrades are normally considered a personal expense and not reimbursable unless there is a compelling business or medical reason and paid for using local funds with supervisor's approval.

Receipts & Documentation

  • You should get a boarding pass or ticket stub.
  • If boarding pass is not available, traveler must supply itinerary. 
  • For electronic tickets, provide a detailed invoice/itinerary (which may also be identified by the air carrier as a receipt), as long as it shows all times of departure, flight numbers, class of service, fare basis, ticket number or confirmation number, and cost of ticket, along with proof of payment (i.e., card being charged). Documentation that does not include this information is not acceptable as a receipt.
  • You must retain the final confirmation page showing the type of ticket purchased (e.g., coach, business) -- it is required documentation when reimbursement is requested.
  • When the only receipts supplied are for air or rail, Accounts Payable may ask for additional receipts as proof the trip occurred.


Public Transportation

  • Taxis, shuttle vans and other forms of for-hire transportation can be taken to and from an airport and to and from business meetings.  These items can be reimbursed or paid by the University Pcard.  A maximum tip of 15% of the taxi cab or shuttle service fare is reimbursable as a transportation cost separate from Meals & Incidental expenses. 
  • Receipts are required only if over $25.
  • These methods should not include limousine services.

Unused Airline Tickets & Frequent Flyer Miles

  • All privileges associated with University travel, such as unused portions of air or rail tickets, free trips, and frequent flyer miles, belong to the University.
  • Unused portions of air or rail tickets belong to the University and must be returned. Unused tickets should be reported to the traveler's department and be used to reduce other appropriate travel expenses. Failure to report such tickets could result in disciplinary action.