Skip to Content

Home >> Travel & Meals >> International Travel

International Travel

Special Considerations for International Travel

International travel is defined as travel outside the contiguous 48 states; thus, international travel includes Alaska, Hawaii, Antarctica and international waters in addition to foreign countries  (Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, etc.). 

Lodging, Meals and Incidentals

Note: Alaska, Hawaii, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, and possessions of the United States are included in the Rate Guide.

  • Lodging, meal and incidental rates can be found on Procurement & Supplier Diversity Services(PSDS) web site at the Rate Guide.

Please note:

  • If a specific city is listed in the table, that rate also applies to other cities within 15 minutes travel time from the listed city unless otherwise noted.
  • Some city rates include specified outlying counties or suburbs.
  • Some county rates may not include a major city within that county.
  • If a specific locality is not included in the table, the ‘Other’ rate listed applies.
  • Refer to the Rate Guide page to determine individual meal and incidental amounts.  Use this chart to calculate how much to deduct when meals are provided at no cost to the traveler.
  • International incidental rates vary from location to location.  Incidental cost include tips given to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses, laundry, personal phone calls and transportation between places of lodging (or business) and restaurants. 
  • When requesting reimbursement, be sure to convert to US dollars. See the Foreign Currency Converter.
  • Include a copy of the currency conversion page with the Travel Workbook.

Vehicle Rental Insurance for International Travel

  • The University's insurance does not cover the collision damage waiver (CDW) and liability damage waiver (LDW) insurance for cars rented outside the territorial United States. Travelers are required to accept this additional coverage and will be reimbursed.
  • Other types of insurance are not reimbursable.

Health and Immunization

  • You may be required to have special vaccinations.
  • University of Virginia Traveler's Clinic offers itinerary-specific medical consultation.
  • The Centers for Disease Control offers detailed and summary information on health concerns and foreign travel.
  • The Charlottesville-Albemarle Health Department also provides immunizations for foreign travel. The Health Department is located at 1138 Rose Hill Drive, Charlottesville, Virginia, 22906. The office is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call (434) 972-6269 for answers to immunization questions.
  • MEDEX 360ºm Global Medical Monitor offers travelers a robust source of information regarding health conditions and medical care in 236 countries and territories. For example, travelers can visit the site to get an overview of the medical situation for a location, identify nearby medical facilities in case of an emergency, and determine what shots and immunizations they need before they go.
  • Currently enrolled students should contact Student Health for assistance with immunizations.